At Max we take a consultative approach to building share options schemes and finding out precisely what our clients are looking to achieve. This approach helps us to deliver a professional and effective service, helping clients meet their goals and plan for the future.
Enterprise Management Incentive
An Enterprise Management Incentive (“EMI”) scheme is an approved employee share scheme that is available to most trading companies, allowing employers to grant share options to key employee's tax efficiently, as a reward for their efforts within the business and/or to retain and incentivise key staff.
What is the Enterprise Management Incentive Scheme
As a share option plan, the EMI offers selected employees the opportunity to purchase shares at a specified time and price agreed at the time the options are granted.
Individual performance and retention conditions can be built in, helping to ensure rewards are only distributed when key corporate objectives have been met.
Any full-time employee of a qualifying company may be granted tax-advantaged share options over shares with a market value of up to £250,000 at the time of the grant, subject to an overall company limit of £3 million. The shares must be in an independent trading company that has gross assets of no more than £30 million and with fewer than 250 employees.
To obtain a more comprehensive understanding of the qualifying criteria and how the scheme can have a positive impact on your business, book a free consultation with a member of our team – Call 01572 770727 or contact us
Benefits of an Enterprise Management Incentive
The “EMI” is one of the most flexible and tax advantaged share schemes currently available in the UK, offering a potential tax rate of as low as 10% on any gains.
Benefits to companies and employees are many-fold – an EMI can -
- Motivate participants to work beyond short-term goals
- Reward participants on a tax-advantaged basis
- Protect current shareholders from immediate dilution and loss of control
- Promote long-term retention of key employees
- Encourage growth by linking awards to performance conditions
- Provide a framework to include new participants, if required
- Attract top candidates to companies
- Minimise risk for participants
Who is eligible to join an EMI Scheme?
To join an EMI scheme, the employees must:
- Work for you for at least 25 hours a week or 75% of their working time (therefore, a part-time employee can qualify so long as they don’t spend more than 25% of their time working elsewhere).
- Not hold any more than 30% of the company
How we can help
At Max we take a consultative approach to building share plans and finding out precisely what our clients are looking to achieve. This approach helps us to deliver a professional and effective service, helping clients meet their goals and plan for the future. To discuss your requirements please call Martin Hickman on 01572 770 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
This document has been composed with the free HTML converter which can be accessed here. Use it every time for document editing.